“Girls are not liabilities or burden, they are valuable assets”.
“She brings fortune not misery”.
“She is the creator not destroyer”.
“Girl child is the most precious gem, save her from any cataclysm”.
After god, she has the potential to give birth to a new life.
· if one family celebrates the birth of baby boy, then why the same family express sorrow over the birth of a girl child?
· if a male child is gifted with sumptuous food and dress, new toys and a chance to go to school, then why the girl child is discriminated in her right to live.
· why she is killed or aborted at birth simply because she is a girl, not a boy?
· why women in our country should not be treated at par with men?
· why she is always at the receiving end?
· why all the excitement has ceased, when a girl has born again.
· why majority of the people are desperate to have a girl child?
· how life will be going on, if seeds of life were being cut by the society itself?
· why women are considered as a weaker sex?
· why this difference between a man and a woman still exists in our country that has witnessed much advancement in every field?
In the past, women were treated as mere house workers, expected to be bound to four walls of the house and managed only household chores. But, the time has changed. Like men, she could excel in every field. India has tremendous examples of woman who have risen from the ashes and done the country proud.
Various sex determination techniques like biopsy, sonograms, ultrasounds, scan tests and amniocenteses were introduced to detect foetal abnormalities. Unfortunately, these tests were used as a tool by number of families to detect the sex of the child that is yet to born.
The states of Punjab and Rajasthan have represented the highest number of abortions every year. According to un sources, about 75,000 girls are aborted every year.
In spite of all stringent laws framed to curb this undesirable practice of killing innocent girl, still this heinous crime continues unabated in a desire for a male child/heir. If this practice continues at this rampant rate, then that day will not far, when our mother earth will have no girl, no daughter, no woman to give birth, and ultimately, no life on earth.
In addition to female infanticide and female feticide, she is discriminated and deprived of the fundamental rights of education, freedom, empowerment, nutrition, to live a life with dignity and honour at every stage of life.
Due to financial constraints, many couples prefer planned pregnancy. In such cases, the first prenatal visit actually happens prior to actual pregnancy, whether one is ready to go off the contraceptive pills and conceive a baby.
Desire for a male child with a belief, that he will become our caretaker and a source of strength in the old age, demand for a heavy dowry, patriarchal structure of a society are considered as the main reasons for rejecting and eroding the value of a girl child.
It is important to usher significant changes in societal attitude and perceptions with regard to women in every sphere. On one hand, we worshipped woman at par with god. On the other hand, we made her to suffer various kinds of atrocities like dowry deaths, sati, sexual abuse, domestic violence, female infanticide, and female feticide.
Female child is not a curse on the society. She is one of the most beautiful and precious gifts of god. She is the most beautiful creation on this earth. She carries within her the beginning and the end. Patience and toleranceare the two important virtues bestowed by god on the woman, helps her to face bravely the troubles of the society.
Education is the basic human right that is vital to personal and societal development and well-being.
“You educate a man, you educate a person, you educate a woman, you educate a complete family”.
Sex determination is a criminal offence; still this practice is spreading like a virus. Following measures will prove quite helpful to give a halt to this heinous crime.
1. To generate an awareness on the plight and basic rights of education.
2. Denial of education further aggravates the problem of a girl child. Education enables her to think wisely, to take rational decisions, to act swiftly, learn to respect, develop civic sense, to judge independently and to be a good citizen.
3. Effective enforcement and implementation of preconception and prenatal diagnostic techniques. The government has also set up a state inspection and monitoring committee to undertake a field visits and take a stern action against those who are running unregistered institutions and those violating the law.
4. To recognize the need, importance and value of a girl child by launching various awareness campaigns about sex selection tests.
5. The possessive inborn hunger for a male child in its progeny has to vanish.
6. There is a dire need to join hand and stand together as brother and sister to bring an end to this social/evil crime.
7. To supplement the efforts of government and various women organizations to maintain a healthy gender balance in society.
8. To take strong action and act swiftly to curtail the misuse of preconception and prenatal techniques.
9. To develop and implement new innovative approaches to fight the menace.
10. To seek constructive solutions to restore and maintain the child sex ratio.
11. To create a society that celebrates the birth of both gender equally.
Help us to spread the message: –
· gentle breed of humanity is in a distress. Protect her.
· son is a son till he takes a wife but daughter remains daughter till the rest of her life.
· daughter is the knot that unites two families together.
· save the lovely bud from withering and dying.
· hapless girl child needs our help and support.
· from where he/she would be in this world if your mother was not allowed to be born and murdered?